Volunteering with Youth
“I have been thinking about volunteering with the youth work of the Parish …”
As Saint Pope John Paul said “It is Jesus who stirs in you the desire to do something great with your lives.”
Every young person is called to be an intentional disciple of God. Our Parish youth work aims to meet them where they are in their journey and encourage them to go deeper in their relationship with God. Today’s youth do not connect to programmes, they connect with people. The most effective way to impact teens is through significant relationships with caring adults.
Some common misconceptions hold adults back from volunteering to work with youth.
Some of them are…
- You must be young
- You must be a biblical scholar
- You must be a perfect example of a Christian
- You must be a captivating communicator
- You must be able to act like the youth
- You must have plenty of free time
- You must play guitar
- You must be wild, crazy and dynamic
- You must be liked by all
Remember – “Today Christ is asking each of you the same question: do you love Me? He is not asking you whether you know how to speak to crowds, whether you can direct an organisation or manage an estate. He is asking you to love Him. All the rest will ensue.” Saint Pope John Paul.
What our youth really need is adults who:
- Love God and live for Christ and His Church
- Love youth and are interested in their lives
- Take the initiative to get to know our youth
- Pray for our youth
- Are authentic in their faith
- Believe in youth and in encouraging them
- Laugh and have a good time
- Remember names
- Share God’s love through personal experiences
- Are patient
- Love being Catholic
There are many different roles that Ealing Abbey needs help with. We need adults who love God, love the Church and have a heart for Teens. We need mentors, models and people who want to make a difference in the lives of our Teens. We need people who desire to work behind the scenes with a servant’s heart.
God might be calling you to courageously respond to being that vitally important relationship in a Teen’s life. Why not give the Parish Office a call? We will gladly share with you our passion for youth and all the different ways that you make a difference in their lives!
Email – firstname.lastname@example.org
Phone – 0208 862 2160